Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Gear for endure races in winter. Part #2 Boots and overshoes


"If both shoes are tight, you may have incorrectly selected your legs".(С)

ALL this is ONLY MY experience and opinion.
So in my post #1  I talked about what kind socks better to use in winter time.
In this part I will talk about boots and overshoes
Often I hearing same question " What kind  boots you prefer?"
I am still looking for!!! And also very important for HOW LONG ride|race will be  and what kind TEMPERATURE ?
I did same races 3-4 times year after year.. Same course but always DIFFERENT temperature.
So what could be good one year , because temperature was warm enough..next year is not..

BOOTS!
Socks and boos combination - very important part of winter trips and endure races



So  the MAIN RULE -  WINTER BOOTS HAVE TO BE 2 SIZE up than  your regular size

you have to be able to put  2 warm wool socks in . 

 Shoes should be comfortable when walking, waterproof , warm.
An important point - the shoes should be easy to put on and take off.


On the first photo my experiences with boots . I tested all of them for my solo trips, rides, races..

Remember  that wrong boots  this is way to DNF and could be bad for your feet and health

Wrong  boots  was to expensive to me in 2009 at the mountains in Russia (Altai)   the temperature was 5 days -40C
The coldest what I got at Arrowhead 135  was  more than - 30 C few years ago.


#1 My  Russian Valenki are traditional Russian winter footwear, essentially felt boots
 What is good - this is WOOL it is mean: warm even when it wet, easy to wear (what is very important)
  bad -  this is not bike shoes (. But when it is big negative temperature your foot is WARM


#2 Sheep skin boots (like UGG ) same as Russian boots
 What is good - this is WOOL it is mean: warm even when it wet, easy to wear (what is very important)
you do not have to put them inside sleeping bag  
  bad -  this is not bike shoes (. But when it is big negative temperature your foot is WARM


#3 Mukluks boots  
 Material Description: Moosehide, Faux Fur Sheepskin, Concho, Radiantex Liner, Contour Insole, Rubber Sole
My opinion this boots is not for this style races.  Most models are made very narrow, which is not very good for winter. An additional advantage I would say the opportunity to get and dry the liner
 May be I have to try 2 size up and it will be work better. 
bad - expensive
#4 Sorel boots
Sorel Boots are probably the most popular type of winter boot in Montana. And this is not by accident. Sorel’s are legendary for their durability. It is common for a pair of Sorel Caribou Boots to last for 10 years or more, despite heavy daily use. And many of their styles can have their life further extended by putting in new boot liners.
Moreover, Sorel boots are exceptionally warm. The temperature ratings on Sorel's range from 0 degrees down to a rather frigid -100 degrees. Because of the extreme warmth that Sorel’s provide, they are very popular among people who work outdoors during the winter months.bad

-  There is, however, one problem that buyers of rubber bottom Sorel boots need to be aware of. Unlike your typical gore-tex winter boot that uses Thinsulate insulation, which breathes, the rubber bottom found on Sorel boots does not breathe. What this means is that as your foot perspires, the water is trapped inside the boot. This is not good, since a wet foot equals a cold foot.
- Aslo it is not bike shoes (


#4 OLD school leather up and inside boots.

The lessons from my mountains trips - NO insulation inside your boots. Because when you do not have chance to dry it - it is way to get frostbite.
good -  no insulation = no wet = no frostbite. But they have to be 2 size up your regular size.
            no zipper = no problem
            good for walk ( we have a lot walking parts in winter endure races)
            cheap ( you can find in Goodwill or Repair Lair (in Minneapolis) for really good price 
bad - it is NOT bike boots no clips (((
But is I will find something like that with clips - it will be my BEST choice
I finished in that boots my first endure race Tuscobia 150 in -25 C (-13 F)
I had few hours stop with sleeping in my tent and shoes was not frozen inside tent.

#5 45Nrth
I have old model Wolvhammer boots.
The Wölvhammer transcends traditional cycling footwear
  • Lace-up design with gusseted tongue
  • Full grain leather and ballistic nylon shell
For 2016, we've removed the outer zipper and velcro in favor of a lace-up design with a gusseted tongue to keep wet winter weather out and warmth in. The full grain leather and ballistic nylon shell provides a durable barrier while the waterproof membrane protects your feet from the elements. Aerogel in the foot bed blocks cold cleats from chilling your toes. When the snow gets deep, pair them with Bergraven Gaiters with the dedicated hook in the toe-box.

Good -  waterproof membrane
              BIKE clips
              warm
 Bad       -zipper - in the cold it is frozen and not easy works and any time could be broken 
              -insulation - if you have to stop for night during your trip|race  DO NOT LEAVE then outside - all inside will be peace of ice  and way to get frostbite. 
When I had to sleep outside during my first Arrowhead  read in my blog (because I have problem with my lights) 
I put this boots inside my sleeping bad (it as -30 C) so guy, who did same before me had to ask help from snowmobile volunteer because he leave this boots outside and the were frozen and was not able to put them ON . 
-heavy  
- when it is more than  - 20 C ( the are not as warm to be sure that you do not get frostbite)
  This is only one winter BIKE  boots what I have now . But I keep my eyes and waiting something on the market , what will be perfect to my.

Since I have to use 45nrth. And temperature very often critical to stay long time outside  I use different kind of overshoes |cover shoes to make boots warmer
SO different version overshoes
#1 this is neoprene shoes cover only for your front (most sensitive part of your feet) .This made for mountain ski boots and good for me.
 #2 This Gaiters  protect my feet from deep snow and snow inside my boots. Cheaper version (espesially foot division needs it you can buy at the our legendary 300 Mile Man  Roberto Marron store https://rm-gear.com/
 #3This is old school and easy to use overshoes. I use them few years ago at AR 135 when temperature was really cold. It gives your feet extra warm. You can made this yourself and super cheap.

 #4 This is cool over shoes gift from Joe Stiller to me. Perfect for bike shoes ( you still can use clips ) This is combination #1 + #2  Right now my choice.
But this is not cheap
 #5 This is neoprene  bike shoes cover also works very good.


 You can read my test drive Russian boots Valenki against 45nrth  in my blog 
I rode one day with 2 different boots on my legs and try to find what is better. 

SO . You can see big choice shoes and cover . But this is not all on market, I just wrote all from my own experience.
To support local businesses check online store of Roberto Marron lots of nice custom stuff for good price. He knows what he stuff made FOR
And very good store in Minneapolis (gentle used and new gear ) in the  Repair Lair store  

Hope you find some tips for yourself from my post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment