Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Gear for endure races in winter . Part 1 SOCKS

 SOCKS ! SOCKS! SOCKS 
#1 Introduce myself.
Why I am so brave to  make recommendations about gears  for endure races?
I am a big fun of winter adventures.
I am original from Belarus. Since 2002 I spent my winter in different king of adventures (hiking, ski backpacking trips, bike tours, camping, adventure races ...... and last 5 years mostly endure and ultra bike races). I know how to keep warm yourself in  different kind of temperature. I had experience stay  in mountain with - 40 C temperatures. 
Of course, I made mistakes with not perfect results. So I want to share my experience to avoid some of you from my mistakes.
 My race experience in USA:
Tuscobia 150 (3 times (1 DNF))
Arrowhead 135 (4 times (1 DNF))
Actif Epica (3 times)
and lots of short distance race  . I did a lot of solo trips. 

Some photos from my past  







OK now I want to say that you have to remember 
WOOL and FLEECE  this is only what I use for winter.
Socks is  one of the very important  gear for your winter adventure. If you choose wrong SOCKS, it will be SUCKS! 
At the 1st picture mostly of my thick version of socks Fleece and Wool 
It could be expensive and cheap. Honestly not big different. 
Why wool ?
"Unlike cotton, wool is an great insulator. When it's cold out your feet will be toasty and warm in your wool socks. ... Wool can actually hold a third of its weight in moisture before it even starts to feel "wet." Wool keeps its insulating properties while wet, which is perfect for sweaty feet".

This picture represent  tiny version of wool socks (wool, merino wool, smart wool.....) 
In winter I use combination wool + fleece
thick + thin wool socks. 


 "mom's" socks  . Works perfect. Cheap .
As you see most of the socks TALL - because winter boots high and have to be avoid connection with skin. 
I  want to represent to different kind of another material socks
 Lorpen socks. Only  one expensive socks (about 45$) and I use it only for city rides.No as perfect as it said: Handsewn and anatomically designed by ski instructors, Lorpen T3+ Polartec® Light ski socks are technically advanced for top performance on the slopes. They feature a double layer of Polartec® Power Stretch® fabric under the foot and at the shins for warmth and protection, and Lycra® in the cuff to ensure a snug fit.
 VaprThrm® Hi-Rise Insulated Sock I DO NOT used this socks yet. But heard lot of positive feedback from my friends. SO I have them now and waiting cold for the "test drive" and can give feedback later.
Hi-Rise sock works by blocking evaportive heat-loss keeping heat and moisture from moving into the insulation of the 200 weight Polartec fleece as well as the inner boot. The technology has performed beautifully (for close to two decades) in the coldest and highest places on earth

PLEASE! Do not use neopren , plastic bags, cotton socks .... for the  long distance race. This is way to the frostbite. 


Some tips.
- you have to have EXTRA pair of wool socks for some reason
-if you have to have make emergency stop for night - you have to wear new socks and  put your wet socks on your belly and trust me in the morning the socks will be dry.
- put hand warmers on the top of yours toes between 1st and 2nd pair of you socks and it will give you extra warm 
- if you biker  do not forgot to make stop and walk or  run with your bike. This bring more blood to your toes and keep them from frostbite. Especially if temperature  is more than - 20 C



REMEMBER wrong choice of the socks and boots will have bad results I got

 Hope this is help some of you.
In the next post I will talking about boots and over boots.

No comments:

Post a Comment